Bulldogs News


Ton Pentre v Monmouth Town | Welsh League Division One | Saturday, 19 August 2017 | Ynys Park

Ton Pentre started their home league campaign with a disappointing defeat to the Kingfishers, Monmouth Town. The Bulldogs were dealt a blow before kick off as talisman captain Thomas Davies was ruled out through illness.

Ton started the match fairly well and had the better of the early exchanges but the final delivery let them down.

Monmouth then hit Ton Pentre on the break after Daf Jones beat the defender down the right hand side and squared the ball behind the back tracking defenders and the ball was slotted home by Elliot Ford from 7 yards out.

Ton immediately had the chance to reply but a Jacka free kick was hit into the wall.

From a quick throw, the ball was chested into the path of Facey who blasted over the bar.

With the Bulldogs putting more and more pressure on it finally paid off in the 14th minute. After a poor clearance by Monmouth defenders, the ball landed at the feet of Facey who hit a sweet left-footed shot that was deflected past the keeper.

On 44 minutes Ton Pentre had a fantastic chance to take the lead. The ball broke at the feet of Facey, after a poor Kingfisher clearance and as he broke through he was tripped. Referee Alex McInch played an advantage and a stumbling Facey broke into the box and hit a shot which was well saved by Kirkland in goal. Half-time score 1-1.

Monmouth took the lead for a second time on 57 minutes. After a long and hopeful ball over the top, Daf Jones beat the defence and lobbed Ryan Griffiths in the Bulldogs goal with a sweet finish. 2-1 Monmouth.

Ton Pentre fell further behind after losing the ball in midfield and a lovely pass set through Daf Jones again, who slotted the ball home to give Monmouth a 3-1 lead.

Ton Pentre battled hard and made manager Lee Phillips roll the dice by making two changes with James Dury and Huw Bowtell leaving the field to be replaced by the returning Sam Small and young Tom Randall.

On 71 minutes the Bulldogs had a chance to pull a goal back. After a foul on the right-hand side, Gavin Morris swung a curling ball in and Josh Hardy rose highest but headed over when directing the ball back across goal would have been more effective.

On 75 minutes, a contested drop ball was won by Jacka who played a pass forward to the feet of Small, who turned quickly and hit a curling shot on target but it was safely gathered by the goalkeeper.

The game was put to bed on the 77th minute as Monmouth scored their forth of the afternoon. A strong challenge in midfield led the ball being spread to Ford in midfield who slotted the ball through to Jordan Heales to beat Griffiths with a strong left-footed finish .

Ton Pentre did score a consolation goal in injury time, which was a wonderful curling freekick by Jacka.

Manager Phillips and the squad will be disappointed with the second half performance but know they have to improve on Wednesday, 23 August when Trethomas Bluebirds visit Ynys Park for a 7:45pm kick off in Round 2 of the League Cup.



1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. CUP PREVIEW: TON PENTRE v TRETHOMAS BLUEBIRDS – Ton Pentre AFC l tonpentreafc.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: