Bulldogs News


Ton Pentre 1-1 Monmouth Town l Welsh League Division One l Saturday, 20 August 2016 l Ynys Park

The Bulldogs thought they’d done enough for victory in this match but Monmouth Town equalised in added time amongst much confusion and controversy.

Ton Pentre were comfortable but in the second minute of added time after the 90 had been played, the Kingfishers were awarded a free kick after Adam Lewis was sent off for the Bulldogs for serious foul play.

Prior to this, the referee had clearly blown his whistle before Lewis had made his challenge. It sounded to many like the full-time whistle, however, there had also been a foul on a Ton Pentre player beforehand that some thought the referee was blowing for. Nonetheless, the match ended in controversy as Monmouth packed the box with Nick Harrhy heading over the line for a dramatic equaliser.

It felt like a defeat for Ton Pentre who had been the better team throughout the match and had created a multitude of chances.

However, there had been early drama in the match after the Bulldogs were forced to clear the ball off the line following a 6th minute Kingfisher’s attack. Following this flashpoint, Ton Pentre never really looked back and controlled much of the play.

Leon Jacka gave Ton Pentre the lead in the 13th minute when some Bulldogs pressure resulted in him being in a position to powerfully strike low and across the goal to make the ball ripple the net.

Having created plenty of chances in the meantime, the Bulldogs really should have doubled their lead on 35 minutes when Rob Blatchford ran through the defence to go one-on-one with Monmouth goalkeeper Lee Williams. With the home crowd ready to celebrate a second goal, Blatchford sent his shot straight at Williams, who was relieved to make the save.

After being awarded a free kick during the 63rd minute inside Ton Pentre’s half of the pitch, Jacka had noticed Williams off his line. The Bulldogs player audaciously shot at the target. As Williams scrambled back towards his goal line he appeared beaten but to Monmouth’s relief the ball went painstakingly over the crossbar.

Moments later Ton Pentre created another chance and on this occasion it was Lewis Hitchcock who went close after rounding off a lovely move with a header. The ball looked like it was going in but it struck the bar and was cleared for a corner by a Monmouth defender.

As the match approached full-time the Bulldogs never really looked in danger of not taking all three points, however, that changed in added time after being reduced to 10 men and the Kingfishers taking full advantage of the confusion that would overshadow what had been a good match.

NEXT FIXTURE: The Bulldogs next game is on Tuesday, 23 August in Round 2 of the Nathaniel Car Sales League Cup away at Taffs Well (KO 7.30pm). The Bulldogs will then be back at Ynys Park on Saturday, 27 August for a league match against Haverfordwest County with a 2.30pm kick off.

TON PENTRE: Cael Jones; Phil Clarke (Josh Phillips 80’); Gavin Morris; Scott Hayward; Adam Lewis; Adam Hawkins; Andre Griffiths (Captain); Lewis Hitchcock; Leon Jacka; Corey Shephard; Rob Blatchford. Subs not used: Brandon Coombes; Lee Williams; Daniel Hurton. Goal: Jacka 13’

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. ATTENTIONS TURN TO THE LEAGUE CUP – Ton Pentre AFC l tonpentreafc.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: