Bulldogs News


Ton Pentre 1-0 Cardiff Met University l FAW theWord Cup Round 1 l Tuesday, 8 September 2015 l Ynys Park

Following an impressive display Ton Pentre progressed in theWord Cup at Ynys Park with a 1-0 win over Cardiff Met University thanks to an 18th minute strike from Nickie Jones.

The Bulldogs were also forced to play the final 30 minutes of the match with 10 men after captain Thomas Davies was sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity when he was adjudged to have bundled over an attacker on the edge of the box.

theWord Cup is an interesting competition concept with its participants made up of the 12 teams in the Dafabet Welsh Premier League, six teams who finished highest in the the Huws Gray Alliance with floodlights, six teams from Nathaniel Cars Welsh League Division One who finished with the same criteria and four wildcard entries. The wildcard entries are chosen via an application process and can come from any FAW directly affiliated leagues in Wales.

Cardiff Met were favourites to progress at Ynys Park, particularly with the Students having beaten Ton Pentre recently in the League, however, the Bulldogs were up for this game and produced a fine display that was deserving of their 18th minute goal.

With the Bulldogs enjoying much possession and creating wave after wave of attack on the Cardiff Met box, it was Nickie Jones who broke the deadlock when he took the ball forward and fired the ball past Cardiff Met goalkeeper Richard Morgan. It was a terrific goal.

Before half-time Cardiff Met felt they should of had a penalty when Ton Pentre goalkeeper Jarrad Howells appeared to trip an attacker in the box. There were loud appeals from the Cardiff Met players but the Referee turned down their calls.

In the second-half, Cardiff Met looked more dangerous and thought they’d scored an equaliser in the 48th minute when the Bulldogs conceded possession in their own half of the pitch. When a shot looked goal bound Cardiff Met were left frustrated as a the ball hit the left goalpost.

Ten minutes later the Bulldogs suffered a huge blow when Thomas Davies was shown a red card after he was alleged to have fouled an opponent who was through on goal. The Bulldogs captain was adamant that he had taken the ball but his protests were fruitless and the defender will now be suspended immediately for one match.

From the resulting free kick on the edge of the box, the Bulldogs defended resolutely, as they did for the remainder of the match to hold on to their lead.

Ton Pentre now look forward to the draw for theWord Cup Round 2 on Thursday, 10 September.

Their next match sees them return to League action when they visit Penybont on Saturday, 12 September for a 2.30pm kick off.

Ton Pentre: 1. Jarrad Howells, 2. Adam Lewis, 3. Nickie Jones, 4. Thomas Davies (Capt), 5. Aaron Jewell, 6. Andre Griffiths, 7. Lewis Hitchcock, 8. Leon Jacka, 9. Rob Blatchford, 10. Scott Jones (75’), 11. Richard Evans. Subs: 12. Kristoffer Rees (75’), 14. Connor Ray.

Cardiff Met: 1. Richard Morgan, 2. Gavin Bell, 3. Joel Letori (74’), 4. Isaac Philpott, 5. Ben Burns, 6. Josh Barnett, 7. Dan Spencer, 8. Sam Izzard, 9. Jordan Slama, 10. Ryan Jenkins (67’), 11. Taylor James. Subs: 12. Liam Black, 14. Chris Aldriff, 15. Callum Silcox (67’), 16. Gareth Emanuel (74’), 17. Dan Evans.

Goal: Nickie Jones 18’

Yellow Card: Aaron Jewell 55’

Red Card: Thomas Davies 58’



2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

  1. BULLDOGS PREPARED FOR theWORD CUP ROUND TWO DRAW | Ton Pentre AFC l tonpentreafc.com
  2. TON PENTRE HANDED WELSH PREMIER TEST IN theWORD CUP | Ton Pentre AFC l tonpentreafc.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: