Bulldogs News


Ton Pentre Youth 4-3 Briton Ferry Llansawel Youth (After Extra Time) | FAW Youth Cup Round Three | Sunday, 30 November 2014 | Ynys Park

Ton Pentre Youth have joined the likes of Swansea City, Cardiff City, Newport County and The New Saints in the Quarter Finals of the FAW Youth Cup after the Bulldogs gained a dramatic victory over Briton Ferry Llansawel.

The young Bulldogs were incredibly poor in the first half as Briton Ferry Llansawel powered their way to a deserved 2-0 lead by half-time following a completely dominant performance.

The visitors first goal came in the 6th minute following an attack down the right that opened up the Ton Pentre defence far too easily and the second goal in the 15th minute was the result of a free kick that was drifted straight into the net.

Ton Pentre were much better in the second half and Kurt Hodges remained composed in the 49th minute to bring the Bulldogs back into the game with a goal, making it 2-1.

The Bulldogs should have had a penalty during the 71st minute of play when Connor Berry was bundled over inside the box by a Briton Ferry Llansawel defender. However, the Referee dismissed Ton Pentre’s valid appeals.

Time looked as though it had run out for the Bulldogs despite winning a corner in the fifth minute of added on time. Ton Pentre loaded the Briton Ferry Llasawel box with players, which included goalkeeper Liam Williams.

As the ball was sent into the box from the corner, Williams’ diving header was good and caused problems with the ball eventually felling to Berry, who headed in a dramatic late equaliser to take the game into extra-time.

Connor Berry heads Ton Pentre level in the 90+5' minute.

Connor Berry heads Ton Pentre level in the 90+5′ minute.

Briton Ferry Llansawel’s players were looking despondent as their fantastic winning position had been lost with momentum now with the Bulldogs.

Ton Pentre used this momentum to take the lead in the first half of extra-time when Berry’s first shot was blocked on the line before making sure with his follow-up to make it 3-2 in the 100th minute.

The Bulldogs made it 4-2 in the 109th minute when Josh Evans met the ball at the far post from a corner kick. The defender’s initial header was blocked on the line before he hammered the ball into the net with a powerful shot.

That goal nigh on confirmed Ton Pentre’s progression into the last eight of the competition but they did have a slight scare when Briton Ferry Llansawel sneaked in a goal to make 4-3 in the 113th minute.

This is a huge achievement for Ton Pentre, who will face an extremely tough tie in the Quarter Finals regardless of who they are drawn against.

A spokesperson for the Bulldogs said: “This achievement cannot be underestimated as Ton Pentre will now rub shoulders with professional clubs like Swansea City and heavily financed academies like Airbus UK Broughton and The New Saints in the Quarter Finals.

“Today’s fantastic victory is the result of a lot of hard work from the players, the management team and everyone else behind the scenes here at Ynys Park. Everyone should feel proud today.”

Manager Ryan Betteney, defender Callum Stanton and goalkeeper Liam Williams spoke to RadioTon following the match to provide their post match reaction. We apologise in advance for the use of any inappropriate language used during the interview but emotions were running high following a fantastic win:

Ton Pentre Youth’s next match is Monday, 8 December 2014 against Cwmbran Celtic in Round Two of the Welsh Youth League Cup. Kick off is at 7:15pm.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: