Bulldogs News


Monmouth Town 0-3 Ton Pentre | FAW Welsh Cup Round One | Saturday, 4 October 2014 | Pen-Y-Pound Stadium, Abergavenny

Thomas Davies get ready to challenge a Monmouth Town player for the ball.

Thomas Davies gets ready to challenge a Monmouth Town player for the ball. (Picture: @peterdoubt)

For Ton Pentre, the dream is over for another year after the Bulldogs were sent crashing from FAW Welsh Cup in the First Round at Monmouth Town.

Injuries appear to be taking their toll on Ton Pentre with defender Ross Porter out for the rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage, while Mark Crutch and Dan Richards looked uncomfortable during the pre-match warm-up with niggling injuries.

The Bulldogs made a comfortable start to this game but the good work was undone after 10 minutes when the Ton Pentre defence stood off a Monmouth attack that allowed Chris Ham ample space to fire a shot into the net off the lefthand post.

Monmouth then proceeded to dominate the first half of the match and should have scored several more goals before half-time.

In the 35th minute, an under hit back-pass provided Monmouth with possession but somehow Bulldogs goalkeeper Neil Collinsm managed to produce two fine saves to deny the Kingfishers.

Shortly before the interval, Ton Pentre produced their best move of the match when James Gronow played Leon Young up the right on the edge of the 18-yard box. Young sent an excellent swinging cross towards the edge of the 6-yard box but Wearn was unable to connect for a chance to equalise.

Ton Pentre were better in the second half and were quick to get themselves on top and following a poor clearance in the 48th minute, Gronow set Adam Raymond up for a shot. From 25-yards Raymond struck well but Kieran Blackburn, the Monmouth goalkeeper, watched the shot go wide of his left post.

In the 56th minute some superb defending from Thomas Davies saw him make a well executed sliding tackle deep inside the penalty area when Monmouth broke through. It was an exquisite piece of defending that prevented the Kingfishers from increasing their lead.

Moments later the action reached the other end of the pitch where the Bulldogs won themselves a corner. The ball was sent to the back post and Crutch headed towards goal but his effort nestled on top of the net.

Frustratingly for the Bulldogs Monmouth scored their second goal against the run of play. Following some scrappy build-up in the 58th minute Dan MacDonald was lurking around the penalty area and when the ball broke to him the former Aston Villa man slotted it into the net for 2-0.

It became 3-0 in the 81st minute after Monmouth were allowed to access the box from the right before a centred pass to Nicky Harrhy allowed the striker to safely secure the Kingfishers deserved passage into the Second Round of the FAW Welsh Cup.

It’s back to Welsh League Division One action for the Bulldogs on Saturday, 11 October 2014 as Ton Pentre welcome top of the table Haverfordwest County to Ynys Park for a 2:30pm kick off.

Ton Pentre Starting XI
1. Neil Collins, 2. Ryan Shugar, 3. Lewis Hydes, 4. Mark Crutch, 5. Thomas Davies, 6. Leon Young (Captain), 7. Shane Davies, 8. Andre Griffiths, 9. Jaymie Wearn, 10. Adam Raymond, 11. James Gronow.

Ton Pentre Substitutes
12. Ryan Jenkins (for Shane Davies 70’), 14. Dan Richards (for Adam Raymond 66’), 15. Andrew Hughes, 16. Alyn Jones (for Mark Crutch 88’)

Hydes 26’, Raymond 54’

1 Trackback / Pingback


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: