Bulldogs News

Bulldogs in Comeback Against Pontardawe

Both teams came to this match no doubt looking for a good win as both Ton Pentre and Pontardawe Town have so far had a mixed start to their seasons.

Ton Pentre 3-1 Pontardawe Town
Welsh League Division One
Saturday, 31st August 2013

Both teams came to this match no doubt looking for a good win as both Ton Pentre and Pontardawe Town have so far had a mixed start to their seasons.


Richard Ingram goes through on goal but is brought down by the Pontardawe Town goalkeeper. No penalty was awarded.

Ton Pentre started the match without key striker Jaymie Wearn and solid defender Ross Porter who are both out with injuries. Andre Griffiths, although present on the bench, was still being plagued by a groin strain that had kept him out of the midweek game against Aberdare Town but despite these injuries the team was bolstered by the presence of new signing Adam Raymond.

Pontardawe started the game strongly and for the first 15 minutes had most of the possession forcing Ton Pentre on the defensive. Craig Rees, in as a defender, did well to clear from a dangerous Pontardawe corner inside the first ten minutes.

The game tempo was high from the kick off and while Ton Pentre initially did well to defend, Pontardawe eventually made the pressure count grabbing themselves a goal on 15mins from a free kick that was launched into the 6 yard area, the Ton players were unable to clear their lines and were left watching the ball hit home from close range.

The game continued at its energetic pace but Ton Pentre began to take back control of the ball, however, the fast pace of the game soon produced the first shock decision when Richard Ingram was brought down in a one-on-one with the Pontardawe keeper in the area. The assistant referee signalled for the foul but looked to be quickly overruled by the referee, who did not seem to be in a good position to view the incident but did not consult with his assistant.

The high spirited game continued and led to the first sending off of the game prior to half-time when Pontardawe’s Arwel Rees and Bulldogs captain Adam Lewis came together. Pontardawe’s player was immediately dismissed for presumably a dangerous tackle and Adam Lewis was strangely given a second yellow.

Ton Pentre began the second-half in fine form and immediately turned the pressure up on Pontardawe who were forced to clear several crosses and corners. While clearing one of these corners it was judged that there was a handball in the area resulting in a penalty for Ton Pentre. Andy Hammet calmly placed the ball in the bottom corner of the net to bring the scores level.

From here on the momentum of the match had definitely turned in favour of Ton Pentre, who shortly after equalising with the penalty, had another chance of scoring with Pontardawe somehow scrambling to keep out a ball that seemed to have an endless queue of Ton Pentre players lining up to shoot.

Ton Pentre did not have to wait long for their second goal when Richard Ingram made a lovely run from within his own half of the pitch to just outside the 18-yard box before judging a pass just right for Steffan Davies, who put the ball in the back of the net for 2-1. Unfortunately, Davies, who had a good game up to this point, picked up an injury to his toe and not long after scoring was replaced by new signing Adam Raymond.

The fast pace of the game did not abate and led to several more bookings for Ton Pentre and Pontardawe as the state of play ebbed and flowed between the two teams. The Bulldogs broke again in the 80th minute when Leon Young combined several times with Lewis Hydes, who was unlucky not to get his shot on target.

The final goal came late in the game following the dismissal of Liam Griffiths, who picked up a second yellow card for a foul on Adam Raymond. Raymond, who was fouled a good 20 yards out, fired low and hard finding the corner of the net, the ball passing through the mix of players dotted around the goal area.

By now the pace of the game had taken its toll with more players picking up cards, a second yellow for Pontardawe’s Craig Davies saw him leave just before full-time.

The exciting match ended on a high for Ton Pentre when Adam Raymond muscled his way to the edge of the box and crossed for Josh Powell who managed to lift his shot just over the bar. It was a good chance that nearly gave the Bulldogs an even more convincing win.

Ton Pentre are in Nathaniel Car Sales League Cup action on Saturday, 7th September 2013, when the Bulldogs go to Undy Athletic for a 2.00pm kick off.

Ton Pentre AFC:
1. Neil Collins 2. Richard Ingram 3. Lewis Hydes 4. Adam Lewis (Captain) 5. Craig Rees 6. Thomas Davies 7. George Daly 8. Lloyd Toghill (12. Josh Powell) 9. Steffan Davies (16. Adam Raymond) 10. Andrew Hammet 11. Leon Young (14. Stephen Oliver).

Subs Not Used:
15. Andre Griffiths

Hammett 53’, S Davies 61’, Raymond 83’.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: