Bulldogs News

Kingfishers Swoop in to Deliver Cruel Blow

Ton Pentre were denied what would have been an excellent victory by a Monmouth Town team who scored deep into injury time to level the match.

Monmouth Town 2-2 Ton Pentre
MacWhirter Welsh League Division One
Wednesday, 17th April 2013

Ton Pentre were denied what would have been an excellent victory by a Monmouth Town team who scored deep into injury time to level the match.

Onlookers watch an entertaining encounter between Monmouth Town and Ton Pentre.

Onlookers watch an entertaining encounter between Monmouth Town and Ton Pentre.

Bulldogs manager Dean Morris probably would have taken a point from the game before kick-off as Monmouth have proved themselves to be a very useful team throughout the season. However, after sneaking ahead during the first-half before increasing their lead in the second period, he may very well feel that his team’s second-half defensive display deserved more points on the board.

Monmouth are certain to feel differently about this as they completely dominated the opening 15 minutes as Ton Pentre slowly creaked into motion. During this period the Kingfishers could have probably had the match completely wrapped up as they missed chance after chance by hitting the post and missing open goals.

A fortunate ricochet of the ball even allowed hotshot Dan MacDonald to run free at goal but the former Aston Villa man was denied by an excellent save from Bulldogs goalkeeper Jonathan Howe.

With Monmouth ruing missed chances, the Bulldogs then went on to score against the run of play when they forced forward with a rare attack. After the ball was presented to Josh Powell, the Ton Pentre midfielder stabbed a shot through a crowded penalty area to wrong-foot Tom Pass in the Monmouth goal and give the away team a 0-1 lead.

Following the goal, the match evened itself out with both teams creating an abundance of chances but Pass and Howe were both denying various efforts hit from outside the box and via free kicks.

Ton Pentre started the second-half strongly and in the 50th minute Lloyd Toghill received the ball on the edge of the box from a corner kick. Toghill flicked the ball up and volleyed a shot at goal. His attempt was blocked deep inside the box and went out for another corner. When the ball was swung back into the danger zone, a Bulldogs player got his head to it at the far post but the effort went painstakingly wide of the post.

Moments later Ton Pentre did increase their lead when a defensive error allowed Jaymie Wearn to capatalise on his hard work by closing the defenders down, when he was allowed to go one-on-one with Pass. The odds favoured the Monmouth keeper as the ball was getting away from the Bulldogs striker, however, Pass somehow failed to connect and Wearn had an empty net to aim for. As a result, Wearn made it 0-2.

That two-goal cushion wasn’t to last long as the Kingfishers immediately hit back. MacDonald unleashed a thunderous shot at the goal which forced Howe into making a superb save but it was impossible for him to hold onto the ball and with a Monmouth player being the first to react to the loose ball, the score was 1-2.

Despite conceding, Ton Pentre quickly regrouped and were stubborn in defence despite the pressure that the home team were applying. In relieving some of this pressure, Howe kicked long to Powell in the Monmouth half of the pitch. Powell brought the ball down into his control and proceeded to run in-field where he opened up space to shoot. He hit a worthwhile effort but despite Pass looking uncomfortable with the shot, the ball went wide of the post.

In the 63rd minute Monmouth were awarded a free-kick that allowed the home team to send the ball into the box. Although the Bulldogs defence easily dealt with the danger, MacDonald attempted an audacious shot from around 30-yards out. Howe once again saved well by beating the ball down into the ground, due to the sheer force of the strike, before gathering it safely into his arms.

As the second-half progressed it looked increasingly unlikely that the Kingfishers would be able to find an equaliser as Ton Pentre confidently defended against any threats, however, the Bulldogs were to suffer a cruel blow, when in the third and final minute of injury time, Monmouth worked the ball out to their right.

When the ball was crossed into the box it avoided the attempts of the Ton Pentre defenders to head it away and instead found its way to a Monmouth player who ran onto it and nodded in an equaliser to the extreme pleasure of the home crowd.

Although being just seconds away from three points, the Bulldogs will reflect that this was a very good away draw against a highly competent Monmouth outfit, who will feel that they were more than worthy of achieving a point in this fixture.

Ton Pentre’s next test will come in the form of promotion chasing Haverfordwest County at Ynys Park on Saturday, 20th April 2013. Kick-off in this MacWhirter Welsh League Division One match is at 2.30pm.

Ton Pentre: 1. Jonathan Howe, 2. Richard Noyes, 3. Lewis Hydes, 4. Thomas Davies, 5. Ross Porter, 6. Lloyd Toghill (70’), 7. Adam Lewis, 8. Richard Ingram, 9. Joe Leahy, 10. Jaymie Wearn (77’), 11. Josh Powell. Subs: 12. Dan Marinos, 14. Shane Brewer (70’), 15. Dean Morris, 16. John Edwards (77’).

Powell 19’
Wearn 52’

Ton Pentre v Haverfordwest County Banner


2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

  1. Bulldogs Await Promotion Chasing Bluebirds | TON PENTRE AFC
  2. Kingfishers Fly In For Bulldogs Clash | TON PENTRE AFC

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: