Bulldogs News

Rhondda Battle is Won by AFC Porth

In this Rhondda Derby both Ton Pentre and AFC Porth were guilty of wasting a multitude of clear cut goalscoring chances, but it was the Black Dragons who did eventually find the back of the net through an 88th minute overhead kick from Craig Wells.

Ton Pentre 0-1 AFC Porth
MacWhirter Welsh League Division One
Wednesday, 3rd April 2013

In this Rhondda Derby both Ton Pentre and AFC Porth were guilty of wasting a multitude of clear cut goalscoring chances, but it was the Black Dragons who did eventually find the back of the net through an 88th minute overhead kick from Craig Wells.

AFC PorthThe Bulldogs were gifted an excellent start when Joe Leahy was the only player to run onto a loose ball up the lefthand side of the pitch that the AFC Porth defence had left believing it to be going out of play.

Leahy ran unchallenged with the ball into the 18-yard box where he squared a pass to strike partner Jaymie Wearn. With the goalkeeper taken completely out of the game by the pass, Wearn looked to have an easy finish but as the ball bobbled at his feet, the Bulldogs striker hit the righthand post.

Having survived this incident, AFC Porth went on to control the majority of the first-half and in the 14th minute they should have taken the lead when a cross into the box from the right was headed over the crossbar with Jonathan Howe looking beaten in the Ton Pentre goal.

AFC Porth should have been awarded a penalty in the 23rd minute when a strong unlawful challenge saw an attacker forced to the ground by a Ton Pentre defender. It was a lucky escape for the Bulldogs with the referee dismissing Porth’s protests.

In the 37th minute AFC Porth capitalised when Bulldogs defender Ross Porter slipped in defence, allowing the ball to be worked across the box to Craig Wells, who despite having time the shoot, sent the ball over the bar.

Moments later Porth were attacking again, on this occasion Tom McCarthy looked certain to score against his former club but the striker succumbed to pressure and he put his shot wide of the post.

Ton Pentre were fortunate to go into the half-time interval at 0-0, while AFC Porth were hoping that their failure to score from one of their chances wouldn’t come back to haunt them.

AFC Porth began the second-half much like they had ended the first period when they counterattacked after gaining possession from a Ton Pentre throw-in. Once again, McCarthy was the Porth player who was presented with a chance to shoot for glory but he sent his free hit over Howe’s bar.

In the 50th minute, a long throw-in from Lloyd Toghill caused confusion in the Porth box and Leahy thought that he was about to give Ton Pentre the lead when he connected with the ball at the far post, however, the former Merthyr Town striker directed his effort over the bar.

Three minutes later Toghill was causing more problems from one of his long throw-in’s when the Porth goalkeeper dropped the ball behind Leahy. Unfortunately, the Ton Pentre striker did not see where the ball landed and missed a great opportunity to swing his boot into the ball and put it into a gaping goalmouth.

With an hour of the match now played, the Bulldogs continued to create chances and when Wearn got onto the end of another Toghill throw-in he saw his shot blocked just in time to divert his attempt off target.

Following that chance, Leahy beat Porth’s calls for offside to have a clear shot at goal but he sent the ball wide of the post.

In the 63rd minute AFC Porth were denied the lead by a superb save from Jonathan Howe when the Bulldogs goalkeeper somehow saved a shot from point-blank range. Whilst in the process of diving, the shot was being directed hight into the net but Howe incredibly still managed to get his outstretched arm to the ball to remove its power before being able to smother it.

The Bulldogs took advantage of an 82nd minute free kick to launch the ball into the box where Wearn connected to shoot but saw his chance collected by the goalkeeper’s diving save.

In the 88th minute AFC Porth forced a decisive corner kick. When the ball was sent into the box Howe came off his line to punch the ball away but only as far as Wells who had space to action an overhead kick and after making a strong connection with the ball, the striker scored to send Porth and their supporters into frenzy.

AFC Porth’s goal should have been wiped out a minute later when Porter played a defence splitting through ball for Wearn to run clear on goal. He looked destined to score but instead of applying power, the striker opted for placement and as a result hit the ball over the crossbar.

As a consequence of that miss, AFC Porth completed a season double over the Bulldogs which moved the Black Dragons into second position in MacWhirter Welsh League Division One.

Ton Pentre’s attentions now turn towards Saturday’s (6th April) encounter with West End at their Pri Deri Park home where the match will kick-off at 2.30pm.

Ton Pentre: 1. Jonathan Howe, 2. Adam Lewis (Captain), 3. Lewis Hydes, 4. Ross Porter, 5. Thomas Davies, 6. Richard Ingram (70’), 7. Shane Brewer, 8. Lloyd Toghill (77’), 9. Joe Leahy, 10. Jaymie Wearn, 11. Josh Powell (77’). Subs: 12. Owen Davies (77’), 14. John Edwards (77’), 15. Josh Evans, 16. Dean Morris, 17. Richard Noyes (70’).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: