Bulldogs News

Bulldogs Go Through in the Welsh Cup

Ton Pentre progressed in what is one of the oldest domestic cup competitions in the world, after they defeated Dinas Powys at Ynys Park in the First Round of the FAW Welsh Cup.

Ton Pentre 3-1 Dinas Powys
FAW Welsh Cup First Round
Saturday, 20th October 2012

Ton Pentre progressed in what is one of the oldest domestic cup competitions in the world, after they defeated Dinas Powys at Ynys Park in the First Round of the FAW Welsh Cup.

Welsh League Division Two outfit Dinas Powys proved to be stern opposition with the final score somewhat flattering the Bulldogs, however, between the goalkeeping heroics of Jonathan Howe and the cool finishing of the Ton Pentre strikers, the Bulldogs progress was deserved.

This game was originally scheduled to take place on 6th October at Dinas Powys, however, the match was twice postponed and as a result of FAW Rules was switched to Ynys Park for the third attempt to complete the fixture.

With the benefit of playing the match at home, the Bulldogs took full advantage when Josh Evans played a pass to Jaymie Wearn who was allowed space and time outside of the box to pick his spot and curl a shot into the top left-hand corner of the goal after seven minutes of play. It was a wonderfully taken goal.

Jaymie Wearn netted twice in Ton Pentre’s 3-1 FAW Welsh Cup win at Ynys Park.

Robbie Fowler nearly drew the away team level shortly after when he advanced down the right before cutting inside to shoot at the target. Howe was alert to the danger and directed the shot into the side netting.

The Bulldogs were not playing well as they struggled to string passes together and it seemed inevitable that Dinas Powys would get an equaliser and they should have done so in 33rd minute when Liam Jeremy crossed the ball into the box for Fowler who sent his connecting shot over Howe’s bar.

Dinas Powys had better luck during first half stoppage time when Richard Yarr and Steffan Davies linked up to supply striker Mark Dunford with his opportunity to make it 1-1.

In the second half the game became very entertaining as the Bulldogs put in a much better display and Dinas Powys also created more in the way of goal scoring opportunities.

During the 53rd minute Howe pulled off a magnificent save when he found himself in a 50/50 situation with opponent Davies. As both players approached the ball, the Bulldogs keeper smothered it just as Davies looked to sneak the ball around him.

Moments later Howe was called into action once again when two Dinas Powys players were allowed to run unmarked in the penalty area. Dunford had the first attempt but Howe denied the striker with a superb point-blank save. The ball broke to Davies but his shot was cleared off the line by a Bulldogs defender.

Dinas Powys were then made to suffer the harsh reality of football as the ball was sent long up-field where Chris Jones ran free of the defence to finish with a cool strike into the back of the net for 2-1.

In the 62nd minute Dinas Powys thought they’d equalised again following the award of a free kick 30-yards out from the Ton Pentre goal. Visiting captain Adam Raymond took a nigh on perfect shot that had Howe beaten but the ball crashed back off the crossbar to deny the Dinas player what would have been a remarkable goal.

With ten minutes remaining, Dinas Powys had several chances to take the match into extra time but Dunford wasted a fantastic opportunity when he directed his unmarked header over the bar following a pinpoint cross from the left.

Showing Racism the Red Card: Prior to the match both teams took part in the Show Racism the Red Card’s Fortnight of Action. Here, Bulldogs club captain Adam Lewis promotes the message.

Shortly after Howe was off his line to dive on the ball at Davies’ feet for a great save to deny the equaliser and had to pull off another fine save in the third minute of stoppage time in order to prevent Joseph Hinds from scoring a dramatic late leveller.

Ton Pentre’s progress into the Second Round of the FAW Welsh Cup was assured in the sixth minute of stoppage time when Richard Noyes was pulled to the ground in the penalty area by Raymond. The referee immediately pointed to the spot and Wearn bagged his brace when he netted the penalty.

The Bullodgs will now play Pontardawe Town in the FAW Welsh Cup Second Round on Saturday, 10th November.

Ton Pentre’s next match will see them in cup action once again on Saturday, 27th October when they travel to Monmouth Town in round two of the Nathaniel Car Sales League Cup. Kick off is at 2.00pm.

Ton Pentre: 1. Jonathan Howe, 2. Richard Ingram, 3. Shane Brewer, 4. Thomas Davies (32’), 5. Jason Brewer, 6. Josh Evans (85’), 7. Adam Lewis (Captain), 8. Ross Porter, 9. Lloyd Toghill, 10. Chris Jones (63’), 11. Jaymie Wearn. Subs: 12. Gareth Tedstone (63’), 14. Owen Davies, 15. Lewis Hydes (32’), 16. Richard Noyes (85’), 17. Nyran Bird.

Wearn 7’, 90+7’ (Pen)
Jones 57’


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: